APS is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our staff and students throughout the entire school day. This includes during lunch, when students will not be able to wear masks while actively eating or drinking.
We have developed a plan to protect student health and safety during meals, in accordance with CDC and VDH guidelines for schools.
General Lunchtime Health and Safety Procedures
Every school will consistently implement the following health and safety measures during lunch:
- Masks are required in the cafeteria or other designated dining space when students are not actively eating or drinking.
- Masks must be worn, regardless of vaccination status, during arrival to the lunch area, as well as in the serving line and when finished eating or when departing or traveling within the dining space.
- Cafeteria or other dining spaces and frequently touched surfaces will be regularly and thoroughly cleaned by custodial staff between mealtimes.
- Students will be required to wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer before and after eating. Time will be provided for handwashing and sanitizer will be readily available for student use.
- Mealtime will be monitored to ensure adherence to the safety measures in place and to enforce distancing to the extent possible.
Tuckahoe Dining Protocols
At Tuckahoe we are committed to providing outdoor spaces for students to eat lunch as frequently as possible, and to distance as much as possible while eating. The following outlines our dining protocols.
- FULL OUTSIDE LUNCH PLAN: Students will dine outside daily, weather permitting.
- Students may bring a towel or other item to sit on during lunch.
- Students will wash hands before and after meals/recess and will distance while eating.
- Student meals will be monitored by staff to ensure adherence to health and safety protocols.
- INSIDE DINING: We are in the process of securing tents to allow students to continue eating outside during routine inclement weather. If weather is extreme then students may be moved to eat inside, either in the cafeteria and/or classrooms.
- Students will wear masks at all times except when eating or drinking.
- Only one grade level would be in the cafeteria at a time, allowing students to spread out across multiple tables and ensure spacing and distancing.
- Our cafeteria and other larger spaces have higher filtration levels than classrooms and have dedicated HVAC (heating, ventilation and cooling) systems that allow maximum outside air ventilation
Again, we are committed to having students eat outdoors as much as possible and will continue to do so as long as we can.